The DIODE network held a two-day workshop in Yogyakarta, Indonesia on 25-26 May 2017.
The workshop identified four research themes within the overall domain of digital economies and development:
- Cross-Cutting Digital Economy: digital platforms and development; comparative digital economy policy; measuring the digital economy in developing countries.
- Digital Enterprise: hybrid/tribrid digital enterprise; innovation and start-up; value of the data economy.
- Digital Labour: impacts of digital labour.
- Specific Aspects of the Digital Economy: grey/black digital economy; digital trade; digital finance; digital fabrication and production.
An overview report from the workshop provides more detail about these research themes, identifies three focal action areas, and summarises the workshop structure and content.
Links to all of the workshop presentations can be found below.
The workshop consisted of:
- A one-day workshop of presentations on “Development Implications of Digital Economies: Mapping and Issues”.
- A half-day masterclass on researching digital economies in developing countries, which reviewed good practice in digital economies research.
- A half-day discussion workshop on the research agenda and research priorities on digital economies in developing countries, which is summarised in the three focal action areas (development impacts of digital work; institutions and platform labour in the global South; the development value of digital platforms).