The DIODE network held a two-day workshop in Oxford, UK on 9-10 October 2017.
An overview report from the workshop provides more detail about research themes, identifies policy / practice issues, summarises four future research topics, and summarises the workshop structure and content.
Links to all of the workshop presentations can be found below.
The workshop identified four research themes within the overall domain of digital economies and development:
- Cross-Cutting Digital Economy: measuring the digital economy in developing countries; digital inequality; Global South as different
- Digital Labour: digital activism; impact sourcing
- Digital Policy: policy content; policy process; policy structure
- Digital Enterprise: developing country-specific challenges
The workshop consisted of:
- A workshop of presentations on “Development Implications of Digital Economies: Policy and Practice”.
- An activity workshop that established key policy and practice issues around three themes: Digital Economy Policy; Digital Enterprise Strategy; and Digital Labour Activism.
- A half-day activity workshop on the research agenda and research priorities on digital economies in developing countries, which is summarised in four focal action areas (analysing and reforming digital labour; the development value of digital platforms; digital enterprise and development; improving digital policy in the Global South).